DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS IN SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Prerequisites: CAAM 210 and MATH 212, or permission of the instructor. Less formally: you should be able to write elementary MATLAB programs, and be comfortable with vector calculus and basic vector and matrix operations.
Objectives: CAAM 336 students learn to identify partial differential equations and solve canonical cases using both analytical and computational techniques.
Outcomes: Upon completing this course, students should be able to:
1) explain the concept and computation of a best approximation from a subspace;
2) identify linear operators and compute their spectra in basic cases;
3) apply these concepts to obtain exact series solutions to differential equations;
4) approximate solutions with the finite difference and finite element methods;
5) develop codes in MATLAB to compute and visualize numerical solutions
Homework Assignment #1
Homework Assignment #2
Homework Assignment #3
Homework Assignment #4
Homework Assignment #5
Homework Assignment #6
Homework Assignment #7